Personal Data Discovery & Classification
Personal data discovery and classification are crucial in the Pharmaceutical Industry. The discovery of new drugs and treatments often relies on analyzing large amounts of data, including data from clinical trials, patient data, and genomics data.
However, the proper handling, safeguarding, and use of this data in compliance with laws and ethical guidelines pose significant challenges.
By properly discovering and managing this data, Pharmaceutical companies can improve the accuracy and efficiency of their research and development efforts, ultimately leading to better patient healthcare outcomes and compliance with privacy laws.
- An enormous amount of data is collected and processed daily from different sources and channels. It is essential that this data is used in accordance with laws and ethical guidelines.
- Personal health information, genetic information, and financial information are among the sensitive data that must be secured and appropriately handled to avoid both financial and reputational loss.
- The amount of data that is collected and generated creates a non-trivial problem of keeping track of the data you have, where it comes from, who has access to it, and how it is being used.
Effective personal data classification delivers truly transformational results in the area of personal data protection and data governance:
- Allows you to streamline your daily operations and ensures that daily engagements, such as correspondence with customers and partners, are secure and in line with privacy laws.
- Restricts access to personal data you collect and manage to the authorized personnel.
- Enables you to make data-driven decisions and proactively react to any regulatory change
- Going beyond the business-critical or operational data. Having a powerful discovery solution can add another layer of intelligence to processes, such as data loss prevention, data archiving, and data removal.
- The unobtrusive nature of the Data Discovery software, with its scheduled runs outside operational hours, aids in understanding and managing the data that is stored across the systems – both in files and relational databases, ultimately ensuring that data is used for appropriate purposes and that appropriate data governance controls are in place.
DPM Data Discovery Solution
DPM Data Discovery is our personal data classification software grown from over ten years of experience in the privacy sector.
DPM Data Discovery uses advanced technologies such as machine learning and natural language processing (NLP) to discover, classify and identify personal data in your organization, making the process efficient and accurate.
Ensuring Compliance and Privacy-driven Performance
- DPM Data Discovery classification engine identifies different types of data – ranging from personal data in its strict sense, such as Names or Addresses, over medical data, such as Drugs and Dosages, to financial data, such as Salaries or Credit card numbers.
- By applying distinct visual labels and confidence to each found category of data, the DPM Data Discovery application allows you to see the personal data you have at a glance.
- Since our classification engine relies on machine learning, it is not dependent on column or document names. It bases its decision on the actual data snippet, thus being more accurate and allowing companies to potentially discover personal data in such locations where they might not expect it.
- The secure Data Inventory sub-module contains all the labels found and dashboards for the convenience of the overview of all found data domains without ever allowing the data to leave the company.
DPM Data Discovery results are an efficient, streamlined business process with data privacy and security at its core, allowing companies to respond promptly and confidently to regulatory changes.
State-of-the-Art Data Discovery
Looking at the amount of data Pharmaceutical companies generate on the one hand and the different regulatory changes. There are several reasons to use state-of-the-art Data Discovery.
Pharmaceutical companies operating in the modern privacy-driven ecosystem are subject to various regulations requiring them to handle personal data responsibly and dynamically.
DPM Data Discovery is designed to help companies comply with regulations such as HIPAA and GDPR by providing tools for identifying, classifying, and protecting personal data and allows them to know the locations of personal data in their systems.
Furthermore, DPM Data Discovery includes features for conducting risk assessments, data protection impact assessments, and incident management.
Across the sector, Pharmaceutical companies often have complex data governance processes, with multiple departments, systems, and locations involved in handling personal data.
It can be challenging to ensure consistent and compliant data management across the organization. Data Discovery allows you to automate personal data classification, which ultimately enables you to establish and maintain control over data.
Having these domains readily available can help ensure that personal data is handled consistently and competently across the organization.
Knowing where personal data resides is a prerequisite to protect it from unauthorized access, disclosure, or loss. Data Discovery allows you to dynamically set up access controls and points to highly sensitive data that should be encrypted.
AUDITING AND REPORTING
Allows easy auditing and reporting on controls and measures for systems where personal data is located. It can also ensure that appropriate additional controls are implemented, i.e., unstructured files on servers.