The European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) is the European Union’s independent data protection authority. The main task and goal of the EDPS are to:
- Monitor and ensure the protection of personal data and privacy when EU institutions process personal information of EU citizens.
- Advise EU institutions on matters related to the processing of personal data, either on the request of EU institutions or on their own initiative.
- Monitor technology that can affect the protection of personal information.
- Provide expert advice to the Court of Justice of the EU on interpreting data protection law.
- Cooperate with national supervisory authorities and other supervisory bodies